This year, all service areas must be considered as Councils look to address pressures of £1bn – that’s the impact if Scottish Government does not change its current spending plans.
The Scottish Government lacks a clear delivery plan and has not offered a coherent explanation for how its policies will achieve Scotland’s bold emissions reduction targets – is the message by the Climate Change Committee in their 2022 report.
A quantified plan is needed now. Local Government is the Scottish Government’s key delivery partner on climate change but budget cuts sap Local Authorities’ ability to respond to a changing world.
Council funding goes towards:
- Supporting public transport, walking, cycling and wheeling
- Building and maintaining electric vehicle charging infrastructure
- Making homes and buildings more energy efficient
- Low carbon heating technologies
- Protecting green spaces, the natural environment and biodiversity
- Flood protection and climate resilience
Download our factsheet to find out more.