- COSLA nominates and supports one full and one alternate member of the Congress of the Council of Europe, which forms the local authority body of the intergovernmental Council of Europe.
- We also nominate several COSLA elected representatives in CEMR (Council of European Municipalities and Regions) governing bodies, as well one place in the World Council of United Cities and Local Government, the global umbrella organisation of local government.
- COSLA works on a cross-party basis to advance Scottish local government agendas on the international stage. Regular meetings with government, EU, UN, OECD officials and other key international players ensure the interests of Scottish Councils are defended at the earliest stages of policy development.
- To support our European work, COSLA is the Scottish national member of CEMR and UCLG, the local government pan European and international umbrella bodies, as well as other local authority associations from the UK and Europe, many of which are co-located alongside our offices in the House of Cities, Municipalities and Regions. We also work with regions and devolved administrations elsewhere in Europe and beyond.
- Relationships with the Scottish Government, Scottish Parliament and other Scottish stakeholders are also important to ensure that a "Team Scotland" approach is applied throughout COSLA's EU and international work.
- COSLA is the official Covenant of Mayors Supporter in Scotland. The Covenant of Mayors aims to facilitate local implementation of climate actions in bottom-up support of EU and international emission reduction and energy efficiency targets.