The Migration, Population and Diversity team has responsibility for policy issues relating to migration to Scotland in all its forms.
This includes work in relation to asylum seekers and refugees, human trafficking, population and demographic change, while the team also provides oversight of equality and human rights issues.
The MPD Team’s remit is, in the main, covered by the Community Wellbeing Board Spokesperson. The Community Wellbeing Spokesperson is Councillor Maureen Chalmers.
Main Policy Areas
- Brexit (the EU Settlement Scheme and migration policy)
- Migrant destitution and no recourse to public funds (NRPF) policy
- ‘Dispersal’ of asylum seekers
- Human trafficking
- Unaccompanied Asylum-Seeking Children (UASC)
- Demographic change
- Humanitarian Protection schemes (e.g. Syrian Resettlement)
- Improving outcomes for Gypsy/Travellers
- New Scots Refugee Integration Strategy
- Equality and human rights